Farmer's Market

The 2017 Richland County Farmer's Market will be located at the Richland County Courthouse. Contact the Richland County Extension Office for more information about starting dates and times.

Participants interested in selling food products must register with the Sanitarian prior to setup. Please review the guidance document (PDF) to determine if your products are on the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services approved list. Review the Farmer's Market policy (PDF) and complete the application (PDF). Return the application to the Richland County Sanitarian for approval.

Food products which may be sold at a farmer's market include:

  • Loaf breads, rolls, biscuits, quick breads, and muffins that do not contain meat or cheese
  • Cakes-all frostings or glazes must have a cook step or be made with ingredients (such as a large amount of sugar) that when combined are stable at room temperature
  • Pastries or scones
  • Cookies or pastry bars
  • Crackers
  • Cereals, trail mixes, granola
  • Nuts and nut mixes
  • Snack mixes
  • Fruit pies (no custard style pies, unbaked pies, pies that require refrigeration, such as pumpkin pies)
  • Dried fruits (apples, apricots, grapefruit, lemons, limes, mangos, nectarines, oranges, peaches, plums, pomegranates, tangerines, blackberries, cherries, cranberries, currants, gooseberries, grapes, raspberries, strawberries, huckleberries) (may not be vacuum sealed)
  • Jams, jellies, fruit butters
  • Combinations of dry herbs and seasonings
  • Popped popcorn, popcorn balls, cotton candy
  • Fudge, candy, and other confections that require a cook step and do not require refrigeration
  • Whole fruits, vegetables, raw honey and grains that have not been processed
  • Whole shell eggs that have been cleaned and are free of cracks.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Q: Can I sell salsas, pickles, salad dressings, herb-in-oil/vinegar mixtures, sauerkraut or pepper jelly?
A: Not without a food license. They are required to be processed in a locally approved and licensed facility to sell these types of products anywhere, including at a farmers' market.

2. Q: Can I sell cream puffs, cream pies, pumpkin pies, custard pies, cream or pudding filled pastries, cheesecakes or cheese breads?
A: No. All of these products would be considered to be potentially hazardous, and would require local approval and a food license to sell these products at farmers' markets.

3. Q: I want to sell my processed poultry/meats at a farmers' market. What do I need to do?
A: A retail food license is required to distribute these types of products at farmers' markets. It is recommended that you contact the Montana Department of Livestock, Meat and Poultry Bureau at (406) 444-5202 ( for information regarding the requirements for slaughter and processing. Contact your local sanitarian for information on how to obtain a retail meat market license.

4. Q: Do I need a food license if I'm handing out free samples?
A: If you are a licensed manufacturer, cottage food operation, or a farmer's market vendor and the samples are exempt from licensure or are non-potentially hazardous, then no retail food license is required.

The Richland County Farmer's Market is managed by Richland County Extension and regulated by the Richland County Sanitarian.

For questions about selling food products, contact Stephanie Ler at 433-2207. For questions about the market, contact Richland County Extension at 433-1206.